The Secret to Perfect Holiday Roast Beef, or “At Home Prime Rib!”
As with all steaks you eat, the first secret is going to be what you buy. Technically, prime rib is roast beef, but also a very specific cut of beef that generally refers to a rib roast; also known as a standing rib roast. Additionally, it’s a rib roast using USDA Prime meat, which is the highest grade you can buy.
Buying Your Beef!
If there’s anything Hoffbrau’s an expert on (other than smiles!), it’s this! When you go shopping for your cut, decide how much you want to spend. At a low cost big box center you can expect to pay prices starting at $9.99/lb for the Choice Seasoned Prime Rib (bone-in) and $16.99 for Prime Seasoned Prime Rib (bone-in). Plan on about 3/4 pound, or about 12 ounces per person, unless you add in another entree. (Great way to add a little value!) If these cuts are still a little out of your price range, try a nice roast cut, which you should find for a reduced price if you buy the whole roast, and probably priced at $5.00/pound. Try sirloin or top rump.
More Truly Texas At-Home “Prime Rib” Hoffbrau Tips!
- Start by crusting your roast in kosher salt. Use liberally, and we love to combine with cracked peppers as well. One secret to any well-cooked Hoffbrau Steak? Fresh cracked white and brown peppercorns. Use any grinder at home, on a coarse setting, if you have it!
- Let your roast come to room temperature before you cook it; about 1 hour. This is crucial. Your roast will be infinitely more tender and flavorful when cooked from a slightly warmer temperature.
- Dust your roast lightly in flour and sear in oil in a pan large enough to accommodate. About 3 minutes on each side will produce a delicious and flavorful brown crust that will delight!
- Temperature is key. We rarely go more than 225 degrees when slow roasting our famous Smoked Sirloin. “Slow and low” is a great mantra when it comes to your oven-cooked roasts.
- Last, let it sit! Don’t slice into this perfect masterpiece until it has relaxed for about 10 to 20 minutes out of the oven. This final touch will ensure flavorful juiciness!
More At Home Steak…Cheats!
Need an easier out? We can do it for you…at home. Our delicious Smoked Sirloin provides all the flavor, with a hickory smoked twist of a delicious prime rib at a fraction of the cost. We can pack it up and send it home and you can take all the credit. Any of your friendly neighborhood Hoffbrau folks can help you work out how many pounds, and send you packing. You can even add delicious home-cooked sides, like our macaroni and cheese, that will please the whole crowd at a great price!
Even easier? A trip to one of our great restaurants! Call ahead, we’ll set you up, and make you look oh, so good! Join our e-club for a free gift before you go, and even buy some gift cards (it’s bonus time!) We’d love to serve you!
What are your holiday favorite recipes?